The 4038 Studio Ribbon Microphone is of British Broadcasting design (BBC) and used for broadcasting and recording such sounds where a clear smooth wide range frequency response, absent of transient distortion and relatively high sensitivity is essential.
The 4038 has a proven reliable performance capability, being since its introduction, used by broadcasting networks throughout the world such as the BBC.
The frequency response of the 4038 is exceptionally flat from 30 to 15,000 c/s and throughout this range the shape of the bi-directional (figure of eight) polar response is maintained substantially constant both in the horizontal and vertical planes, giving a natural smooth sonic quality textured response to sound signal being picked up.
Studio microphones have now achieved a remarkable fidelity of reproduction. If the microphone is not close to perfection, there is no point in having expensive systems to take the sound the rest of the way to the audience's ears.
In the world of sound, the BBC has always been the leader, and is still regarded as the 'setter of standards'.
- Pressure gradient transducer ribbon microphone
- Substantially flat frequency response from 30 to 15,000 c/s
- Extremely low (non-linear) distortion
- Exceptionally low hum pick-up
- Bi-directional (figure of eight) polar curve shape accurately maintained in both horizontal and vertical planes
- Excellent transient response
- Natural clear balanced response to sound signal
- Body shape to enhance acoustic performance
- Clear natural high fidelity sound reproduction
- Smooth sonic textured response
- All microphones factory tested in free field conditions
- Ribbon: Low mass damped ribbon to control transient response
- Polar Response: Bi-directional
- Magnetic Fields: By use of hum neutralizing wiring and magnetic shielding of the toroidal ribbon to line transformer 30 to 40 dB reduction is achieved in response to stray disturbing magnetic fields
- Frequency Response: 30 Hz to 15 kHz
- Impedance: 300 Ohms
- Sensitivity: -65 dB W.R.T. IV/Pa
- Distortion: Less than 1% at 125 dB SPL
- Connection: By means of 4069 3 pin jack plug. Pin 1 positive - Pin 2 negative - Pin 3 screen
- Body Housing: Made of heavy gauge perforated brass backed by finely woven Monel mesh. Rotating hinge connection allows microphone to tilt through 90° and turned in any direction when either suspended or free standing
- Dimensions: 7¼" (197 mm) x 3¼" (83 mm) x (61 mm).
- Weight: 2 lb 6 oz. (1.08 kg)
- Finish: Black stove enamel textured paint