A Modern-Classic: Tube-Opto Tone With Extended Control
The WA-1B accurately recreates world-class Scandinavian tube compression combining smooth tube-optical warmth with precision controls. Like the original inspiration favored by producers and engineers from Chris Lord-Alge to Rick Rubin, the WA-1B
delivers that revered “forgiving” musical compression of tube-optical circuitry with speed and control more closely associated with modern dynamics processing. Hand-wired to authentically recreate the sound of a renowned circuit, the WA-1B combines
custom large-core transformers from Lundahl Sweden, select tubes from JJ and Tung-Sol, and a premium high-precision optical element for ultra-fast and accurate operation without sacrificing authentic analog warmth.
True-To-Original Controls & Features
To deliver extended dynamics processing, the WA-1B delivers all of the classic, extended controls of the original inspiration including infinite 2:1 - 10:1 ratios, variable threshold, fixed/manual/combined attack & release, multiple metering options, dual sidechain bus connections, and true-bypass operation.
Threshold: The WA-1B supports a variable threshold giving maximum control to the user regarding how much compression is applied to any signal at various input levels.
Ratio: The WA-1B ratio is variable and has infinite controls between 2:1 and 10:1. From soft musical dynamic control all the way to hard-smashing compression!
Attack & Release: The Attack/Release controls on the WA-1B are unique in that the attack/release operations can be switched from a fixed setting, manual (variable) setting, or a combined setting. In the “fixed” mode, the WA-1B delivers the natural attack
& release time of the optical element. The combined setting in particular creates the opportunity for a more nuanced release-time curve. This dueling time-constant circuit operation is a special feature of the WA-1B and its original inspiration.
Meter Switch: The WA-1B meter switch has three settings: input, compression, and output levels. Set to “input”, the VU meter reads the level at the input connector. Set to “compression”, the VU meter is reading gain reduction. The steady state is "0", and
the amount of compression is shown as the needle moving right-to-left away from 0dB. Set to “output”, the VU meter reads the
level at the output connector.
On/Bypass: The on/bypass switch on the WA-1B activates or bypasses the compressor.
This is a hard bypass, meaning no signal passes through the circuitry in bypass mode.
No-Compromise Design and Components
Premium Components: The WA-1B is a 270v circuit with handwired through-hole circuitry and a 100% discrete analog signalpath. The custom large-core transformers from Lundahl Sweden bring the full Scandinavian-style analog tone of the WA-1B circuit to life. Paired with select tubes from JJ and Tung-Sol, the high-precision optical element applies sweet analog warmth to audio signals with unrivaled accuracy.
Hand-Tested In Austin, TX: Like all Warm Audio gear, the WA-1B is meticulously hand-tested and inspected by trained
technicians with a passion for making music in Austin, TX USA.
- Natural, Versatile Vocal Compression
- Shape & Control Bass Signals So They Sit Just-Right In The Mix
- Add Pro Compression To Dynamic Sources Without Destroying The Performance
- Accurately recreating world-class Scandinavian compression combining smooth tube-optical warmth with precision controls
- True-to-spec 270 volt, 100% discrete analog signal path - handwired with through-hole components
- Transformer-balanced fully floating input and output - Custom-core large transformers from Scandinavian Manufacturer, Lundahl in Sweden
- 12AX7 Tung-Sol & JJ 12AU7 tubes
- Frequency response @ -3 dB: 5 Hz to 25 kHz
- Self-Noise: < -75 dBU @ 30 dB gain
- CMRR: > 60 dB @ 10 kHz
- Ratio from 2:1 to 10:1
- Variable Threshold: Off to -40 dBU
- Continuously variable attack and release times: fast-slow
- Output gain: Off to +30 dBU
- Input impedance: 600Ω
- Two bus connectors to connect multiple sidechains
- Meter (VU) input, output, or compression amount
Linear, low-noise power supply with toroidal power transformer