The WA76 Limiting Amplifier is a modern reproduction of the Classic 1176 Revision D.
Every effort was made to remain faithful to the original designs including the use of Reichenbach Engineering’s (now CineMag) transformer design that was originally used.
The classic 1176 was a major breakthrough in limiter technology — the first true peak limiter with all transistor circuitry offering superior performance with a signature sound — and set the standard for all limiters to follow. The ultra-fast attack time and trademark sound have lured legendary artists and studio moguls alike to the 1176 — Peter Frampton, Joe Satriani, Joe Chiccarelli, Vance Powell, and Mike Elizondo are just a few names on a list that’s continued to grow, for nearly 50 years.
The WA76 can reproduce the classic effect known as ‘All Buttons In’ mode, sometimes also referred to as ‘British Mode’ or the ‘Four Button Trick’. Originally an accident due to the mechanical nature of the interconnected latching switches, this mode is reproduced by pushing in all four ratio buttons simultaneously and getting them to latch. This can take a bit of practice. The resulting compression curve is aggressive and unmistakably unique, and can be heard on the drum tracks of many classic recordings.
All-buttons-in compression is typically characterized by having a very aggressive compression ratio, attack and release curves that are more drastic plateaus opposed to gentler slopes, and more audible distortion or ‘overdrive’ on the signal. Initial transients are more likely to come through loudly, followed by heavy compression curve sometimes described as having a ‘sucking’ effect as the compressor releases. Because this mode is considered a design accident, faithfully maintained; it is normal for the meter function to ‘peg out’ and cease providing accurate metering
We have faithfully reproduced the circuitry of the revision D, generally considered one of the best and most popular among the different versions made over the years. We’ve used all discrete, through-hole components, high quality CineMag input and output transformers, and a class A circuit that stays true to the legacy design.
* True to the Classic 1176 compressor in design and performance
* Completely discrete signal path
* Modeled after the D revision
* Utilizes USA made CINEMAG input and output transformers
* Supports the famous “all buttons in” ratio setting
* Ultra fast attack time
* Class A line level output amplifier
* Input impedance - 600 ohms, bridges-T control (floating)
* Frequency Response ± 1 dB 20 Hz to 20kHz
* XLR and TRS inputs. XLR and TRS outputs
* 50db of gain
*Less than 0.4% total harmonic distortion from 50 Hz to 20 kHz with limiting
* Signal to noise ratio is greater than 74 dB at +25 dBm
* EIN -104.1 dbm.
* Attack time, 20 microseconds to 800 microseconds
* Release time, 50 milliseconds to 1 second
* Meter provides dB gain reduction and dB output.
* SWITCHABLE 115/230 VOLT IEC POWER INLET.
* 19″ Rackmount chassis, 2U.