The COMP-3A Jr is a one channel vintage style Compressor / Leveler. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors & transistors. The input & output is transformer balanced, using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before IC's became available. IC's are small, cheap and widely used in most modern designs. The drawback is that audio components built with modern technology don´t always provide the best perceived sound quality or the type of character for the modern user.
The circuit used in the COMP-3A Jr is based on classic design elements & uses an integrated opto coupler to control gain giving it a unique compression characteristic. In addition, the vintage style signal path adds a wonderful and musical character to the sound. The ease of use with only two main controls makes it very simple to achieve the desired sound. These attributes have made similar designs favorites of engineers & musicians worldwide.
Classic sound & compression style is now available at a very affordable price with the COMP-3A Jr.
- Vintage style electronics. No integrated circuits in the main audio signal path
- Transformer balanced input & output. Can drive almost any load, balanced or unbalanced. The maximum output level is 25 dBu
- Uses an integrated opto coupler to control gain. The fastest attack time is about 1 ms
- Simple to operate with only two main controls, Gain Makeup & Gain Reduction
- 3 position TIME switch to select different combinations of Attack & Release time
- Selectable jumpers inside the unit to increase the timing on TIME-switch position B & C
- LED-meter selectable to show output level or gain reduction.
- Hardwire bypass switch for easy comparisons
- XLR & TRS I/O
- Link jack for connecting to another unit for stereo operation.
- External power supply
- Compact 1RU 1/4 rack format. Four units can be mounted in a 19-inch rack kit, the UNITE MKII.